Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

If you ain't talking $, I don't wanna talk. (college)

Every single day you walked into the doors during your high school career, you get bombarded with college applications, scholarship offers, and pros about attending a University. What about a two year college? What if I don't want to go to college?
High School teaches us how to simplify fractions, solve the Pythagorean Theorem, fail tests and somehow find a way to cheat your way through aerobics.
Have I learned how to write checks, buy and finance a house, and actually PAY for college? Not even once.
So, college.
Don't get me wrong, I'm so proud of the decision I made to move down to St. George and attend Dixie, but nothing would have prepared me for the amount of money I would be blowing. Teachers and parents puuuuuush you to fill out those college applications before the deadline in December and know your major before you graduate, but they 'accidentally' leave out the part about how much it will cost to attend that University. With tuition, books and even joining a club, you're in debt before you even attend your first class. 
"Well Talia, you can go to SLCC."
I see nothing wrong with going to a Community College. Cheaper tuition, close to home no matter where you live and if you have free time and want higher education, why not? Because high schools don't teach you to want to go to Community College. They push you into Universities right out of school.
What if I have no idea?
I'm interested in things, but I don't think I can major in sitting on my couch and eating Doritos. (I was walking through Club Rush yesterday and decided I should start a donut club. I have reached a new low.) 
Older adults are expecting so much of us right out of High School and I feel like I'm still a kid. Seriously, I still feel like a kid and I'm 18 and living by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment