Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A day in the life

A day in the life of a normal college student isn't aways what people think. Since I am currently attending Dixie State, the 'party school' of Utah, everyone just assumes that I am waking up on the floor of a different apartment every day and pouring Vodka into my water bottle before leaving to class.

In reality, it couldn't be any more different.

I moved down to St. George almost a month early to make more money for the upcoming semesters and I was hoping that I would make some new friends (which I actually have done, don't freak out), and not to party every weekend.

For one, I've never once woke up in a random apartment unaware of what happened the night before nor have I had any regrets from nights prior. So either I am doing college wrong or I am doing college very right. Dixie, your expectations are not being held up by me very well and I would like a refund. I prefer to spend my nights with random German boys that I met at your local Chuck a Rama at Dixie Rock talking about techno music and bikes, okay?

For two, I spend 80% of my time at the laundromat. Some kids are turning up and like, going to the lake or something, but I'm stealing the free wifi at the laundromat to watch Parenthood all while washing my clothes. The laundromat is a very interesting time. Dust storms start up in the middle of the floor, random men with inside out socks come in and sit right next to you while having a full-on conversation to himself, and half the washers are ALWAYS out of order.... but I'm there every other day, obviously living it up. Why go to a lame party when I can order pizza from next door and watch a dust storm indoors?

For three, I think I have maybe been to three college parties since I've been here for almost two years. All the parties either get shut down by the cops; which I'm not about that 'running from the cops' life and getting arrested, or they just suck and you sit on a random couch in a random house with maybe one person you've ever met before and hope that their cat walks by so that you can pet it, steal it, name it Guacamole and let it sleep in your bed. So this whole 'party school' situation, is rather an unfortunate lie that people make up to seem cool.

For four, no one pours Vodka into water bottles. Like that is definitely not a thing and if you actually do that, you have serious problems. Get your life together, homeboy and start drinking some water. Because it is free, and Vodka isn't. Your liver will thank you.

For five, whenever I go to the library on campus, it is always hoppin', so obviously people are going to class and studying, even though it is Dixie State. If I can't find a computer to do my homework on, then I should be rather proud of my school. Thanks for going to class and having motivation, but I really actually need your computer so leave. 

and finally, six. If you want to party, then you are going to party. You will find all the best ones and maybe even become the 'average Dixie student'. But, if you don't come here just to party, then this is actually a great school to attend. It's extremely cheap, in the best part of Utah and the professors really actually care about you here. You can find a party at literally any college. Like, come on. It's college. Even someone at BYU is turning up behind their chastity door in their apartment. No one hides out in their rooms and studies all day. It all just depends on your mindsets and goals. I'm not saying that if you party you are a terrible person and have nothing going for you, because you really may and just like to let loose a little bit. I've met some really great people who enjoy getting drunk every other day, and I would never judge them for that. 

So let's all stop hating on Dixie, and just come visit me because I don't have wifi right now and I'm becoming rather bored these days. 


taliajune;

No comments:

Post a Comment