Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

What would you change?

One day on good ole Facebook, my mom tagged me in a video that kids and adults say what they would change about themselves. It's probably one of the cutest things I've ever seen. Of course the adults say things that deal with body image such as stretch marks, skin issues and wrinkles, but the kids on the other hands, they have nothing to change about their looks. They want wings, mermaid tails and shark teeth. This video got me thinking.

What would I change about myself if I could?

It's no secret that I have bad skin and absolutely hate that fact and I'm sure my teeth could be a lot straighter. If I was to be in this video, those would be the two things I said, no lie. I'm not one of those selfless girls who is all "I like my body the way it is! :)" and then dance around in some hippie pants on the beach with my natural hair and no-make-up-on face. I'm like every other 18 year old girl that sees the flaws every time she looks in the mirror. 
This has me thinking about another question.

When did we decide we need to change?

The older we get, our bodies start to change, and there is honestly nothing we can do about that, but when did we wake up, look in the mirror and tell ourselves we aren't good enough? Was it when we entered our teen years and felt that every stray hair was the reason the boy in our math class wasn't talking to us or was it when your 'best friend' told you that you weren't pretty enough?
 We aren't going to be young forever, but we are going to be beautiful, and that's something we tend to forget. Who cares if your hips start getting bigger, buy a fabulous pair of jeans and flaunt them. Maybe you start getting some acne; acne doesn't define you, so don't let it hold you back. Then there are stretch marks. Everybody dreads getting them, but everyone is going to get them at some point in their lives. What's so bad about stretch marks? Your body is changing, and that process isn't going to be perfect. 

Nothing looks better on us than confidence does.

Maybe we should start thinking of our 'flaws' as rewards. You endured something, and came out alive, and maybe you got some battle scars along the way. 


Okay, so we can't have mermaid tails and wings. As cool as that would be, we live in reality. (Although, you can buy a mermaid tail on Etsy for around... $400. We are half way there.) 
I believe that's the difference between adults and kids. Kids aren't told no yet. They still believe that anything is possible. Why aren't we all living with that mindset? 
With the media and other girls, we are constantly held up to these standards that aren't even real. We all use the filter on Instagram and magazines? Let's be real, I learned how to crop my face onto a cats on Photoshop, so I know it's possible to change EVERYTHING about a picture.

This post isn't going to make us all love ourselves now. I, personally, am far from that, but why can't we wake up and instead of looking at every flaw, tell ourselves that we are 
beautiful 
and 
ready to conquer the day? 
I promise you, you feel better and more beautiful if you start every day out like that.

I mean, we all are beautiful people, so why aren't we told that more often?


taliajune;


WATCH THIS VIDEO. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment